Communication to all CC drivers

Hello all racers. For all of you in isolation, we hope you are keeping safe. For those of you on the front line, of which we know a few, a great big thank you.

You may be thinking that the Classic Clubmans steering group are all hibernating, but there is a lot of negotiation and discussion going on behind the scenes, within the HSCC and between the HSCC, Motorsport UK, MSV and Silverstone. As you can imagine, it all hinges about when club racing can resume and with what restrictions. The circuits are obviously very keen, as the lost revenue must be hitting them badly. Silverstone is pressuring the HSCC to look at a revised date for the Classic and MSV are keen to stage the Legends meeting (The Superprix at Brands) and the Gold Cup.

 None of this impacts Classic Clubmans. Any trips abroad are very unlikely to happen, so Mondello is off the agenda. If there is a start this year, it would probably be Cadwell Park in September. However, even then, severe restrictions are likely to be in place. There will probably be no spectators, all food and drink outlets will be closed and social distancing will still be in place. How scrutineering, marshalling etc. will be managed has yet to be thought out.

We would like to take this opportunity to present to you, three options. We would appreciate it if you could respond by return with your preferred course of action. This is not to take into consideration any financial, work or other commitments. This is purely to gauge our collective view on any racing at all this year, based on the current situation with Covid 19. There is absolutely no pressure on any specific option, so please respond with your honest take on the situation.

The three options are as follows:

  1. Resume racing at the earliest opportunity, regardless of any restrictions which may be laid down.
  2. Not sure at present. Let’s wait and see how the situation develops with Covid 19 (But knowing that it is very likely that restrictions identified are likely to be in place at least until the end of the year).
  3. Abandon any thought of racing this year and start planning for 2021.

     Whilst you are pondering the above can we also ask you to consider the racing calendar for 2021. We feel that five double header meetings for next season, down from six meetings, would help our grid sizes as well as lowering the cost for a seasons racing.

We would like your thoughts on this and also a list of your preferred five circuits to race at in 2021.

We would appreciate a quick response to this email as Mike has further tele conferences this week with the HSCC.

Once again can we wish you, your family and your friends a safe time in your lockdown and your work.

Kind Regards,
Dave Facer and Mike Sales,
Classic Clubmans steering group

↑ Top of Page